Wednesday 11 June 2014

What To Do When You Have Too Much To Do

Is it just me or have you also had a lot going on? Challenges left and right, handling so much at work, at home and then don’t forget about trying to make progress when it comes to the other things we also want for our life.
So much to do … never enough time.
It'snottheload.050
How do we handle it all and keep our peace of mind (which we know is so important)?
Well, I remembered something that I finally learned after so many years (decades) of moving through busy times like these the wrong way.
In the past, when I felt like I had too much to do, it used to bother me. I let myself get stressed out and always felt like I hadn’t done enough. I resented a lot of things I felt I had to do because they were weighing me down and getting in the way of the things I really wanted.
The Chief Negativity Officer in my mind would take over and the negative mind chatter would start …
“It’s just too much. I am never going to be able to do all of this.”
“If I didn’t have to worry about dealing with (_________), then maybe I would be able to handle all the other things I really want to finish.”
“Why do I have to handle everything? It always falls on me.”
Listening to my Chief Negativity Officer never did anything but made me feel worse and less productive. I finally realized the problem wasn’t all “the stuff” I had to handle or all the “issues” I needed to work through. Yes, it was a lot, but it wasn’t causing the real problem. It’s like that great quote by Lena Horne reminds us …
“It’s not the load that breaks you down. It’s the way you carry it.”
I absolutely was not carrying my load the right way. It’s easy to lose sight of the bigger picture and why it is actually a good thing that so much is going on.
Although on the surface, it just looks like we have a lot of issues and too much to do, what is actually happening is that life is rearranging perfectly to give us exactly what we need and what we have asked for.
Things are changing, moving, shifting and of course that means we have to be a part of the process and help them change, move and shift, but every single thing we are doing in one way or another is lining up to eventually benefit us.
And when I realized that … everything changed.

So Many More Good Things Are Coming…

Somanymore.jpg

There was nothing to resent or be bothered by. There was nothing to worry about or feel overwhelmed by. In fact, what I should have been doing was celebrating the fact that things were finally moving (and moving quickly).
The puzzle pieces were coming together.
So, if you ever have those days where you’re feeling like there is way too much to do or you are tired from all the work and the millions of other things you’ve been handling, remind yourself of your bigger picture.
Everything you ultimately need, have asked for, and want to happen is on the other side of all the things you’re handling and working through today. Even if it doesn’t seem like it, there is a reason for it all. It’s helping you get exactly where you really want to be.
But, we do need to make sure we are looking at things the right way because it is so important to feel good and have peace of mind while we’re working and taking steps forward.
“Ego says, ‘Once everything falls into place, I’ll feel peace.’ Spirit says, ‘Find your peace and then everything will fall into place’.”  ~Marianne Williamson

The Possibility of Today: Appreciating your Continually Growing “To Do” List

1. Stop saying “have to” and start saying “get to”. Literally stop saying the phrase “have to” and replace it with the phrase “get to”. I do this all the time because it helps you immediately look at things from the right perspective.
You don’t “have to” do a lot of work today.
You “get to” do a lot of work today (because you are fortunate to have work and fortunate to be able to do it).
You also “get to” clean your house (because you have one), pick up your kids from school (because they are healthy and alive), workout (because you are able to exercise), etc.
2. Use your personal “Reset” button. Anytime your Chief Negativity Officer starts focusing on the wrong things, take three deep breaths and “Reset”. Direct your attention away from whatever your mind is wandering about and turn your attention to the present moment and doing whatever is in front of you as your Extraordinary Side.
3. Focus on Your Bigger Picture. Take 5 minutes and write down your bigger picture and how what you really want is coming together. Keep it with you at all times and anytime you forget or feel stressed out, immediately read your Bigger Picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment