Thursday 8 May 2014

independence quotes

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?” 
― Anaïs Nin

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 
― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre

“I'd rather die my way than live yours.” 
― Lauren OliverDelirium

“Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” 
― RumiThe Essential Rumi

“It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a run-of-the-mill person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I’ve loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I’ve done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice.” 
― Coco Chanel

“I'm single because I was born that way.” 
― Mae West

“Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing.” 
― Ayn RandThe Fountainhead

“I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.” 
― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre

“Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.” 
― Mae WestThe 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said

“Then, one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...you give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore.” 
― Neil GaimanThe Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

“The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” 
― Michel de MontaigneThe Complete Essays

“It is easier to live through someone else than to complete yourself. The freedom to lead and plan your own life is frightening if you have never faced it before. It is frightening when a woman finally realizes that there is no answer to the question 'who am I' except the voice inside herself.” 
― Betty Friedan

“Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice."

[Stanford University commencement speech, 2005]” 
― Steve Jobs

“I do not wish them [women] to have power over men; but over themselves.” 
― Mary WollstonecraftA Vindication of the Rights of Woman

“So the fact that I’m me and no one else is one of my greatest assets. Emotional hurt is the price a person has to pay in order to be independent.” 
― Haruki MurakamiWhat I Talk About When I Talk About Running

“I am not an angel," I asserted; "and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself.” 
― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre

“People have only as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want and the courage to take.” 
― Emma Goldman

“Be an independent thinker at all times, and ignore anyone who attempts to define you in a limiting way.” 
― Sherry ArgovWhy Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

“I will not be "famous," "great." I will go on adventuring, changing, opening my mind and my eyes, refusing to be stamped and stereotyped. The thing is to free one's self: to let it find its dimensions, not be impeded.” 
― Virginia WoolfA Writer's Diary

“I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man. I've just done what I damn well wanted to, and I've made enough money to support myself, and ain't afraid of being alone.” 
― Katharine Hepburn

“When women hold off from marrying men, we call it independence. When men hold off from marrying women, we call it fear of commitment.” 
― Warren Farrell

“Sure, it sucked to be lost, but I'd long ago realized I preferred it to depending on anyone else to get me where I needed to go. That was the thing about being alone, in theory or in principle. Whatever happened- good, bad, or anywhere in between- it was always, if nothing else, all your own.” 
― Sarah DessenLock and Key

“We need to help people to discover the true meaning of love. Love is generally confused with dependence. Those of us who have grown in true love know that we can love only in proportion to our capacity for independence.” 
― Fred RogersThe World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember

Independence is my happiness, the world is my country and my religion is to do good.” 
― Thomas PaineRights of Man

“The proverb warns that, 'You should not bite the hand that feeds you.' But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself.” 
― Thomas Stephen Szasz

“It is vain to expect virtue from women till they are in some degree independent of men.” 
― Mary WollstonecraftA Vindication of the Rights of Woman

“If you learn to really sit with loneliness and embrace it for the gift that it is…an opportunity to get to know YOU, to learn how strong you really are, to depend on no one but YOU for your happiness…you will realize that a little loneliness goes a LONG way in creating a richer, deeper, more vibrant and colorful YOU.” 
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass

“No man is great enough or wise enough for any of us to surrender our destiny to. The only way in which anyone can lead us is to restore to us the belief in our own guidance.” 
― Henry Miller

“To me it seems that too many young women of this time share the same creed. 'Live, laugh, love, be nothing but happy, experience everything, et cetera et cetera.' How monotonous, how useless this becomes. What about the honors of Joan of Arc, Beauvoir, Stowe, Xena, Princess Leia, or women that would truly fight for something other than just their own emotions?” 
― Criss Jami

“I will never deny that life isn't fair. It seems as though when a woman leaves a man she is strong and independent, but when a man leaves a woman he is a pig and a jerk.” 
― Criss Jami

“If I follow the inclination of my nature, it is this: beggar-woman and single, far rather than queen and married.” 
― Elizabeth I TudorCollected Works

“With the spread of conformity and image-driven superficiality, the allure of an individuated woman in full possession of herself and her powers will prove irresistible. We were born for plenitude and inner fulfillment.” 
― Elizabeth PrioleauSeductress - Women Who Ravished the World and Their Lost Art of Love

“She might be without country, without nation, but inside her there was still a being that could exist and be free, that could simply say I amwithout adding a this, or a that, without saying I am Indian, Guyanese, English, or anything else in the world.” 
― Sharon MaasOf Marriageable Age

“Being brave enough to be alone frees you up to invite people into your life because you want them and not because you need them.” 
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass

“Where we choose to be, where we choose to be--we have the power to determine that in our lives. We cannot reel time backward or forward, but we can take ourselves to the place that defines our being.” 
― Sena Jeter NaslundAhab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

“Language ... has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone.” 
― Paul TillichThe Eternal Now

“In yourself right now is all the place you've got.” 
― Flannery O'ConnorWise Blood

“We are so accustomed to the comforts of "I cannot", "I do not want to" and "it is too difficult" that we forget to realize when we stop doing things for ourselves and expect others to dance around us, we are not achieving greatness. We have made ourselves weak.” 
― Pandora PoikilosExcuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out

“Maybe your country is only a place you make up in your own mind. Something you dream about and sing about. Maybe it's not a place on the map at all, but just a story full of people you meet and places you visit, full of books and films you've been to. I'm not afraid of being homesick and having no language to live in. I don't have to be like anyone else. I'm walking on the wall and nobody can stop me.” 
― Hugo HamiltonThe Speckled People: A Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood


“Associate with noblest people you can find; read the best books; live with the mighty. But learn to be happy alone. 
Rely upon your own energies, and so not wait for, or depend on other people.” 
― Thomas Davidson

“I'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide.” 
― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre

“A marriage of two independent and equally irritable intelligences seems to me reckless to the point of insanity.” 
― Dorothy L. SayersGaudy Night


“You are your own refuge
There is no other
You cannot save another
You can only save yourself.” 
― Guillaume MussoSeras-tu là?


“she didn't need anyone. At Wheeler, even when she stood out with her pink hair and quilter army-surplus jacket and combat bots, she did this without apology. It was a great irony that the very fact of a relationship with her would diminish her appeal, that the moment she came to love me back and depend on me as much as I depended on her, she would no longer be a truly independent spirit. No way in hell was I going to be the one to take that quality away from her.” 
― Jodi PicoultMy Sister's Keeper


“For it is in your power to retire into yourself whenever you choose.” 
― Marcus AureliusMeditations

“Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong..” 
― Winston Churchill

“Being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions.” 
― John LockeSecond Treatise of Government

“She did not date. She did not have time for men. Men were never, ever worth a great amount of energy. She was the kind of woman that looked down on what she called ‘settlers’, women who chose love and fleeting passion that turned to dull, lifeless marriages over a career and independence.” 
― Mandy Nachampassack-MaloneyAutumnal Dancer

 Ursula Andress 

“An encouraged person will eventually get his drive from encouragement; he becomes more dependent. A person that never really receives encouragement learns to move out of spite; he becomes more independent.” 
― Criss Jami

“To know your soul is your own, that's what counts.” 
― Marty Rubin

“I don't want to have to earn love by giving up my ability to make decisions that determine how I live.” 
― Eloisa JamesWhen the Duke Returns

“Time is the most valuable coin in your life. You and you alone will determine how that coin will be spent. Be careful that you do not let other people spend it for you.”
― Carl Sandburg
Marissa Meyer
“I am an explorer,' she whispered, 'setting courageously off into the wild unknown.' It was not a daydream she'd ever had before, but she felt the familiar comfort of her imagination wrapping around her. She was an archeologist, a scientist, a treasure hunter. She was a master of land and sea. 'My life is an adventure.' she said, growing confident as she opened her eyes again. 'I will not be shackled to this satellite anymore.'

Thorne tilted his head to one side. He waited for three heartbeats before sliding one hand down into hers. 'I have no idea what you're talking about,' he said. 'But we'll go with it.”
― Marissa MeyerCress
“I'd rather apologize to you for not being who you want me to be than apologize to God for not being who I should be.” 
― Garrett McCoy
“I cherished her individuality, that spark of independence no child should lose to life's restrictions and parameters.” 
― Truddi ChaseWhen Rabbit Howls
“I despise women who rely on men entirely for their own existence.”
― Lindsey DavisEnemies at Home
Philip Pullman
“Her upbringing had given her an independence of mind that made her more like a girl of today than one of her own time - which was why she had walked out, and why she was not daunted by the prospect of being alone.”
― Philip PullmanThe Ruby in the Smoke
Leo Buscaglia
“To love oneself is to struggle to rediscover and maintain your uniqueness”
― Leo BuscagliaLove

“If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” 
― Michael Bassey Johnson

“Don't anticipate for a promise, let it be an unexpected favour, this will increase your power of independence.” 
― Michael Bassey Johnson

“Chances are no matter how bad your troubles seem to be, someone somewhere, with less resilience, has successfully conquered a more severe version of your problems.” 
― Gary Hopkins

“Anxiety, and the physical symptoms it causes, is merely fog along the path of independence and discovery.” 
― Charles F. GlassmanBrain Drain The Breakthrough That Will Change Your Life

“I do not imagine I will ever cling to her like she is the last handhold on an otherwise sheer cliff. I have wings. I am ever here in this moment because she is where I want to be. She is not some inanimate savior, she has wings of her own to flutter and soar. I intend to fly beside her, to tumble through the air in loops and gambols, to carry her when she grows tired, to keep her warm beneath them against raging winds.” 
― Thomm QuackenbushFind What You Love and Let It Kill You

“It is only just that anything that grows up on its own should feel it has nothing to repay for an upbringing which it owes no one.” 
― PlatoThe Republic

“A free man can live on fish.Independence is better than meat” 
― Halldór LaxnessIndependent People

“I can't bear the thought of living an entire lifetime on this planet and not getting to do all the things I dream of doing, simply because they aren't allowed. I don't think it will ever be enough, this version of freedom, until it is all-inclusive. I don't think I can be happy unless I'm truly independent.” 
― Deborah FeldmanUnorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
“I can take care of myself,” I said hotly.

“Darlin, you don't even know how to pleasure yourself.” 
― Nenia CampbellLocked and Loaded

“When someone says you can't, look at where they are sitting. Perhaps they meant they can't.” 
― Tim FargoAlphabet Success - Keeping it Simple

“To resist the social pressure now put even on one's leisure time, requires a tougher upbringing and a more obstinate willfulness about going one's own way, than ever before.”
― Robert Graves
Markus Zusak
“The only people we want to blame are ourselves, because it will be ourselves that we rely upon.”

“Push to achieve your dreams. Don't let anyone push you out of dreamland.” 
― Christy Birmingham

“Sharing your life with someone will have much more meaning coming from a place of independence rather than co-dependence.”
― Gary Hopkins
Gloria Whelan
“I find having your own car is like a passport to the world.”
― Gloria WhelanSee What I See

“Who knows not sacrifice may never gain freedom.” 
― Ogwo David Emenike

“It all depends on how independent you are.” 
― Ljupka CvetanovaThe New Land

Mandy Hale
“Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be.”
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
Mandy Hale
“You don’t need a significant other to lead a significant life.”
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass


“So many people are so terrified to be alone that they settle for a loveless relationship or stay trapped in a miserable one for months and even years on end. But as it turns out, alone means unique, unequaled, and unexcelled. Or in other words: Unparalleled. Unrepeatable. Unable to be imitated or duplicated. Brave. FABULOUSLY ORIGINAL.”
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
Mandy Hale
“Happily Single is permission to CHOOSE your life rather than having it handed to you, and it’s living life on your own terms instead of those that are expected of you.”
― Mandy HaleThe Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
“You can love people, and you can befriend them, but the only person you can ever one hundred percent depend on is yourself.” 
― Trisha LeighWinter Omens

“Now and then women should do for themselves what men have already done—occasionally what men have not done—thereby establishing themselves as persons, and perhaps encouraging other women toward greater independence of thought and action.”
― Amelia Earhart
Stephanie Tyler
“I don't like rules, especially the unwritten ones that say I need to let myself be controlled by my man.”
― Stephanie TylerDefiance
“How foolish to wear oneself out in vain longing for warmth! Solitude is independence. It had been my wish and with the years I had attained it. It was cold. Oh, cold enough! But it was also still, wonderfully still and vast like the cold stillness of space in which the stars revolve.”
― Hermann HesseSteppenwolf
Donna Goddard
“Being popular or not, having company or being alone, are not issues of concern for the developed soul.”
― Donna GoddardThe Love of Being Loving

“I would follow in your footsteps if I wasn't so busy making my own.” 
― Truth Devour, Wantin

“I admire independence. The world would be a stronger place if we were all capable of handling life on our own. But being capable of it doesn't mean being unable to share and depend on someone else. It shouldn't mean being unwilling to. That's the romance.” 
― Nora RobertsFace the Fire

“I don't like favors; they oppress and make me fell like a slave. I'd rather do everything for myself, and be perfectly independent.”
― Louisa May AlcottLittle Women
Swami Vivekananda
“How often does a man ruin his disciples by remaining always with them! When men are once trained, it is essential that their leader leave them, for without his absence they cannot develop themselves. Plants always remain small under a big tree.” 
“Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it.” 
― John D. Rockefeller

“It is likely to make us think we are not caged. We cannot feel the bars unless we push against them.” 
― Erin MorgensternThe Night Circus

“I have never deceived anyone, for I have never belonged to anyone. My independence was all my wealth: I have known no other happiness.” 
― Cora Pearl

“I am living breathing freedom”
― Hiroko Sakai
“See with your own eyes, hear with your own ears, think your own thoughts, say what you must say, do what you must do, love all that you can and stand on your own two feet.”
― Paul PalnikEternaloons: The Palnik Anthology
“To make a real independent film where the filmmaker is in charge creatively, one must sacrifice personal, financial, and physical well-being.” 
― Mark PolishThe Declaration of Independent Filmmaking: An Insider's Guide to Making Movies Outside of Hollywood

“But there are other words for privacy and independence. They are isolation and loneliness.” 
― Megan Whalen TurnerThe King of Attolia

“Let me tell you something, honey. Fifty percent of life is others trying to push their own agenda on you—their belief system, their views, their convictions. The other fifty percent is you deciding whether or not you’re going to let them. Or if you’re going to form your own opinions.

-Miss Velma” 
― Rachael WadeLove and Relativity

“I don't want to have to save your life,' Chord says softly. 'Not when you can do it.”
― Elsie ChapmanDualed
Dianna Hardy
“I love your independence, I love that you don't swoon, I love that you'll fight me with your last breath if you think I'm wrong, and if I ever have to catch you, I swear I'll make sure you're standing on your feet as quickly as you can manage it.”
― Dianna HardyThe Sands Of Time

“I am self-reliant, I am accountable, I am determined, I am strong, I am...the scarce minority.”
― Thorin
Mihail Drumeş
“What a tremendous power one needs to become his own master!”
― Mihail DrumeşElevul Dima dintr-a VII-A

“I don't want to be kept safe! I don't want to have someone constantly trying to keep me from tripping on my own incompetence. I want to live in a world where I know the rules, where people are just people. Not one where they keep trying to eat me. That's the reason I left the city in the first place. I don't want to be kept, not by anyone.”
― Meagan SpoonerSkylark
“I once asked her if she got bored living alone, and she said, 'To say one is bored to be alone is to admit that one has no inner resources.”
― Lois BattleStoryville

“Both men had made her feel as if she were the one who was at fault, a typically masculine reaction to a woman who was able to act independently of them.” 
― Flora KiddPassionate Choice
“Freedom is the only thing we must demand in life, for all other good things stem from it” 
― Miguel Syjuco

“Whatever they may say, your story is truly your own. You have a responsibility to it, the way a father has to a child” 
― Miguel Syjuco

“To have an independant mind, to think for oneself, not to follow fashion, not to seek honour or decoration, not to become part of the establishment” 
― Marcel Schlumberge

“I'd trapped myself in a script.... But to be scripted at all is to be prepackaged, programmed, pinned to a page. Only the unwritten can truly live a life. So who I was, what I was, had to be unwritten.” 
― David James DuncanThe Brothers K

“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” 
― Laurel Thatcher UlrichWell-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

“Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.”
― Joseph Conrad
Mae West
“There are no good girls gone wrong - just bad girls found out.”
― Mae West
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 
― Charlotte BrontëJane Eyre

“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” 
― Nora Ephron

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?”
― Anaïs Nin
Lilith Saintcrow
“Better to be strong than pretty and useless.”
― Lilith SaintcrowStrange Angels

“Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.”
― Mae West
Jane Austen
“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”
― Jane AustenPersuasion

“A woman has to live her life, or live to repent not having lived it.”
― D.H. LawrenceLady Chatterley's Lover
Coco Chanel
“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.”
― Coco ChanelThe Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman

“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” 
― Jane AustenPride and Prejudice

“As a woman I have no country. As a woman I want no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.”
― Virginia Woolf
tags: women
Masashi Kishimoto
“She's strong! And scary...I bet she's single...I'd put money on it..”
― Masashi KishimotoNaruto, Vol. 18: Tsunade's Choice

“Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.” 
― Mae WestWit & Wisdom of Mae West

“I like men who have a future and women who have a past.”
― Oscar Wilde
Roseanne Barr
“The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. ”
― Roseanne Barr

“When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.” 
― Diane Von Furstenberg

“If you knew what was going to happen, if you knew everything that was going to happen next—if you knew in advance the consequences of your own actions—you'd be doomed. You'd be ruined as God. You'd be a stone. You'd never eat or drink or laugh or get out of bed in the morning. You'd never love anyone, ever again. You'd never dare to.” 
― Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin

“I can't decide whether I'm a good girl wrapped up in a bad girl, or if I'm a bad girl wrapped up in a good girl. And that's how I know I'm a woman!” 
― C. JoyBell C.

“Love, the poet said, is woman's whole existence.” 
― Virginia WoolfOrlando

“If you meet a woman of whatever complexion who sails her life with strength and grace and assurance, talk to her! And what you will find is that there has been a suffering, that at some time she has left herself for hanging dead.” 
― Sena Jeter NaslundAhab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

“I am two women: one wants to have all the joy, passion and adventure that life can give me. The other wants to be a slave to routine, to family life, to the things that can be planned and achieved. I'm a housewife and a prostitute, both of us living in the same body and doing battle with each other.” 
― Paulo CoelhoEleven Minutes

“I have been crying," she replied, simply, "and it has done me good. It helps a woman you know, just as swearing helps a man.” 
― Horace Annesley VachellThe Romance of Judge Ketchum

“There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.” 
― Steve MaraboliUnapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience

“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?” 
― Christopher Hitchens

“The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men.” 
― Alice Walker

“The strength of a woman is not measured by the impact that all her hardships in life have had on her; but the strength of a woman is measured by the extent of her refusal to allow those hardships to dictate her and who she becomes.” 
― C. JoyBell C.

“She was sensible and clever, but eager in everything; her sorrows, her joys, could have no moderation.” 
― Jane AustenSense and Sensibility The Screenplay

“Women were different, no doubt about it. Men broke so much more quickly. Grief didn't break women. Instead it wore them down, it hollowed them out very slowly.” 
― Cornelia FunkeInkdeath

“When you meet a man who is broken, pick him up and carry him. When you meet a woman who’s broken, put her all into your arms. Cause we don’t know where we come from … we don’t know where we are. ” 
― Laurie Anderson

“There are women who make things better... simply by showing up. There are women who make things happen. There are women who make their way. There are women who make a difference. And women who make us smile. There are women of wit and wisdom who- through strength and courage- make it through. There are women who change the world everyday... Women like you.” 
― Ashley Rice

“But when a woman decides to sleep with a man, there is no wall she will not scale, no fortress she will not destroy, no moral consideration she will not ignore at its very root: there is no God worth worrying about.”
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera
tags: sexwomen
Eleanor Roosevelt
“Do not stop thinking of life as an adventure. You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively; unless you can choose a challenge instead of competence.”
― Eleanor RooseveltThe Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt

“For it is in your power to retire into yourself whenever you choose.” 
― Marcus AureliusMeditations

No comments:

Post a Comment